Roasted Eggplant Pizza
Here at the farm, we think eggplants are one of the most versatile crops. They also offer a host of medical benefits. Friend of the farm, Helen Nichols has made it easy to discover them all here.
3 cups flour
1 packet yeast
1 tsp salt
1-2 lbs tomatoes
4 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 handful fresh basil and oregano (finely chopped)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 chopped hot pepper (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1-2 small eggplants
2 tbsp olive oil
oregano (chopped or dried) & brown sugar
1. Sift all crust ingredients together. Slowly mix in warm water until it becomes a doughy texture. Let the dough rise in a bowl while you prepare the sauce.
2. Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, then transfer them to cold water. Peel and chop tomatoes into small pieces.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet and add minced garlic. Cook for one minute. Add basil and oregano. Add tomato chunks and hot pepper. Stir well and allow to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Add brown sugar, salt and pepper and continue to stir. When sauce is thick and tasty, it is ready.
5. Slice eggplants and toss slices with olive oil and salt. Wrap eggplant slices in a piece of foil and cook over a grill or in the oven until tender and brown.
6. Punch dough and knead it on a well-floured surface for 5-10 minutes. Spread dough out on a pizza pan. Cover with sauce (using a slotted spoon ensures the thickest sauce will be on your pizza). Next, cover the sauce with shredded cheese. Finally, place roasted eggplant slices on top and sprinkle with oregano and brown sugar.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour (until the crust is baked all the way through).